Prof. Dr. Rer. Nat. Habil. EBERHARD WIDMANN
Address Stefan Meyer Institute for Subatomic Physics Austrian Academy of Sciences Boltzmanngasse 3, 1090 Vienna, Austria Tel. +43-1-4277-29701, Fax +43-1-4277-9297 email@example.com www.antimatter.at/widmann Interest Precision studies of CPT symmetry and QED in antiprotonic atoms, strong interaction at low energy in kaonic and antiprotonic atoms, exotic kaon-nucleon and kaon-nucleaus bound states, meson spectroscopy and in-medium effects of mesons at BELLE and PANDA. Personal data 20.06.1960 Born in Eschenau, State Baden-Württemberg, Federal Republic of Germany Nationality: German Married, 2 children Academic career 1979 - 1985 Study of physics at the University of Stuttgart, Germany. 1985 – 1986 Experimental diploma thesis work at the Max-Planck-Institute for Metals Research (MPI), Stuttgart on pion-muon channeling experiments carried out at Paul Scherrer Institute (PSI), Villigen, Switzerland. 1986 Diplom-Physiker (equivalent to Masters degree), University of Stuttgart 1986 – 1990 Ph. D. work at the MPI Stuttgart. Subject: Search for Positron Electron Scattering Reso- nances in the MeV Region using the mono-energetic positron beam available at MPI Stuttgart under Profs A. Seeger, K. Maier, and F. Bosch (GSI). 1990 Dr. rer. nat (Dr. of Science, equivalent to Ph. D.) "mit Auszeichnung" (maxima cum laude) in experimental physics, University of Stuttgart. 1999 Dr. rer, nat, habil. Habilitation in Experimental Physics at the Physics Department of the Technische Universität München. Subject: Experimental Studies of the Metastability of antiprotonic Helium. 2006 Honorary professor for subatomic physics, University of Vienna. Scientific Positions 1990 – 1993 JSPS Post Doctoral Fellow at the Institute for Nuclear Study, University of Tokyo (Japan), with Prof. T. Yamazaki. 1993 – 1996 Fellow at the European Laboratory for High Energy Physics (CERN) in Geneva 1996 – 1997 Project Associate of the PS205 collaboration at CERN. 1997 – 1998 STA-Fellow at the Muon Science Laboratory, RIKEN, Saitama, Japan, with Prof. K. Nagamine. 1998 Project Associate of the ASACUSA collaboration at CERN and visiting researcher in the group of Prof. R.S. Hayano at the Physics Department of the University of Tokyo. Project Leader for the laser and microwave spectroscopy experiments on antiprotonic helium. Member of the ASACUSA steering committee. 1999 Senior Project Associate, ASACUSA collaboration. 2004 Director of the Stefan Meyer Institute for Subatomic Physics, Austrian Academy of Sci- ences, Vienna. Awards 2011 ERC Advanced Grant “HFS - Hyperfine Structure of Antihydrogen”. 1990 Ph.D. award “mit Auszeichnung” (“with distinction”, maxima cum laude), University of Stuttgart. Responsibilities in International Collaborations ASACUSA Atomic Spectroscopy And Collisions Using Slow Antiprotons at CERN-AD leader of spectroscopy group, member of the steering committee AEgIS Antimatter Experiment - gravity, Interferometry, Spectroscopy at CERN-AD head of Publication Talks Board, member of Collaboration Board FLAIR Facility for Low-energy Antiproton and Ion Research at the future FAIR facility at Darmstadt spokesperson 2004 - 2012, co-spokesperson 2012-2014, member of the steering committee since 2004 Membership of Review Panels and Committees
- President of the Austrian Physical Society (ÖPG) 2015-2016. Vice President 2014 & 2017.
- Chairman (2013-2014) and Vice Chairman (2012, 2015) of the Division of Particle and Nuclear Physics of the Austrian Physical Society.
- External Counselling Body of the Institute of Nuclear Research (ATOMKI, Debrecen, since 2010) and the KFKI Research Institute of Particle Physics (Budapest) of the Hungarian Academy of Science (2010-2011).
- Austrian representative in NUPECC (Nuclear Physics European Collaboration Committee, ESF), member of the steering committee for the Long Range Plan 2010 in charge of working group 5 „Fundamental interactions and symmetries“.
- Chairman of the “Institutsdirektorenkonferenz”, the assembly of directors of institutes of the Austrian Academy of Sciences (2011-2015)
- Responsible for Austria in the executive board of the German JSPS Alumni Organisation "JSPS Club" (since 2004)
- GSI G-PAC (General program advisory committee, GSI Darmstadt) 2004-2009.
- Austrian representative in the Scientific and Technical Issues (STI) committee of the FAIR facility, Darmstadt (2005-2010).
- Canada Research Chairs Program College of Reviewers
- Editorial board of the journal Hyperfine Interactions (Springer).
- Referee for Physical Review Letters, Physics Letters B, Nuclear Instruments and Methods A, European Physical Journal D.
- Project evaluation referee for DFG, NSF Switzerland, GACR (Czech Science Foundation), MSMT (Czech Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports EU Operational Programme Management Section).
Member of the International Advisory Committee or Organizer of the Following Conferences and Workshops
- EXA – Exotic Atoms and Related Fields, Vienna.
- LEAP – Low Energy Antiproton Physics.
- INPC - International Nuclear Physics Conference, co-convenor for the topics "Fundamental Symmetries and Interactions in Nuclei", INPC2016, Adelaide.
- MENU - International Conference on Meson-Nucleon Physics and the Structure of the Nucleon
- TCP - Trapped Charged Particles and Fundamental Physics.
- MESON - International Workshop on Meson Production, Properties and Interaction, KRAKÓW, POLAND.
- Exotic Hadronic Atoms, Deeply Bound Kaonic States and Antihydrogen: Present Results, Future Challenges: Workshop on ECT*, Trento, June 2006.